Monday, June 1, 2009

Vehicles and Village Visits




Hamjambo Wote! Today I had my first taste of village life. This morning Danny and I, along with a few others, went to the village Koros to visit the leaders from the Kwanza Cluster (I think that's what it was) of the Kolongoro (sp?) District. We went through a typical African worship service with singing, dancing, prayer, and preaching. I gave my introduction entirely in Swahili (a first for me) to which the people got a real joy and clapped a good amount. It's hard for me to speak much Swahili, which can become a problem in some villages where they don't speak and English, but I've been told that I'm coming along fine. I'd take some prayer for my brain here. I've been trying so hard that I tend to go to bed with a headache from it. It's coming, but it's a rough ride until I get there.


Speaking of rough rides, I can't even describe what African diving is like. Some of the roads make 4-wheeling seem like childs play and the traffic makes Tijuana look orderly. It's incredible. It gets a bit tiresome, but it does add to the adventure. Also, African Drivers are the worlds best drivers. An American would get into a car accident within the first five minutes of being put into this situation. I swear these drivers have an extra sense!
To those of you who have been praying about the Jet Lag, Thank you. That very night after I posted the request I slept through the entire night. Bwana Asifiwe!
I'm looking out the window right now with a complete lack of ability to describe what it's like here. There are people everywhere. Some sitting talking, some trying to sell different goods, some on bikes waiting to give rides, some just walking to their next destination. The plants, trees, and birds are beautiful! The mountains, valleys, and plateaus are awe inspiring. It's amazing.
I ask that you continue to pray as we meet with more and more church leaders. I've gone to three meetings so far and we've had dozens of leaders. We've still got 4-5 more days of meetings. Pray that God will continue to give the 4 men words of wisdom and encouragement for the leaders. Pray that He will also give them rest, as this is an incredibly wearing task for them. Our presence means so much to these people, even more than our words. It is an honor to be such an encouragement by simply being.

To be honest, I'm starting to hit the point where I am really missing parts of home. It is so wonderful here, yet being apart from my family and loved ones is hard. It's even harder to think that It's going to be quite a while until I see them again... or anything familiar. I had a dream last night that many of them had died in a horrible fire and it's really wearing on my heart. I ask your prayer for me and for them as we are apart for the next several weeks.

Many of your African brothers and sisters emphatically send their greetings and blessings. I also send my blessings and love.

1 comment:

  1. I've read these through several times and get something different about them each time. I just realized that there were people over there praying for us here at home missing you. How wonderful. Mom told me about the York Shire Pudding insident and I got quite a kick out of it. You should have told that Brit that you had a lot of Brits in your background she would have gotten a kick out of that. What a joy hearing what you are doing and taking part in. Pappa and I are praying for you and your work for the Lord. Love to you and the best to all, Nan

    ReplyDelete