Saturday, May 30, 2009

Car rides and Chipote

What an adventure the last few days have been! I write you now buying internet at a coffee shop in Kitale, Kenya. Yesterday, after one last UN related meeting, Danny and I hopped into a truck with Mike and Shawn (Two of Danny's old Missionary Colleauges) and drove accross the country to Kitale. It was quite the bumpy ride, but I've been told it's been much worse.

Mike and Shawn are great guys. They are kind and funny and quite knowledgable in the things of God. I am so excited to spend the next week learning from them. Mike works with Good News Productions International, which is actually based out of Joplin, MO right next to CIY! He has worked all over the globe and has spent his life in faithful service to Christ and His gospel. Shawn is an incredible missionary who now lives in Uganda. He and his wife linda have been in Africa for the past 28 years. They have done so much ministry, it's amazing!

It's really great to see the three old friends back together. It reminds me of times with my good friends. Things don't really change... even over 30 years. They have such a tight fellowship.

Driving across the country was about all I could handle yesterday. It was my first time seeing the bredth of Poverty that runs across this country. It was (and is) really hard for me to handle. I just don't understand how it could all be like this. It's so.... foreign... and different. I'm being hit by the culture like a bat over the head. I'm not sure if it's horrible or wonderful? Or is it both? Either way, God is good and He is teaching me so much.

My Swahili is being put to the test for sure. I can now hear about 80% of conversations. I still haven't spoken much, but I'm working toward it. Danny and I stopped in Nakuru yesterday to get some Chipote (kinda like Tortillas) from a stand on the side of the road. We went up to the lady at the stand and Danny started talking with her and the 8 people around her. While she was getting us Chipote, they were commenting on Danny's good Swahili. They then asked if the white guy next to him could speak. Danny said I couldn't very much, to which the started saying "jaribu!" (have him try). They didn't know that I could understand what they were saying and I started to laugh. They were quite persistant that they wanted the young white guy to try speaking. So I did. And I did it without any prompting from Danny, cause I could understand what they were saying. I told them "Sisema, lakini nasikia kidogo." Which means, I can't speak, but I can hear a little bit." They laughed and told me good job, then Danny told them I'd only been in the country two days... to which they were all way surprised. They were quite happy with my work. It will be great to continue learning.

I now want to ask a few prayer requests of you. Entering the country and culture has been harder on me than I thought. There is so much and it's hard for me not to get overwhelmed. Ask God to help me process and understand what I can so I'm not to overwhelmed. Also, Jet Lag has hit me a bit. The last three nights I have woken up between 3-4 am and can't get to sleep. It's been giving me headaches and a bit of a fever occasionally. Pray that Danny and I can get on a regular sleep schedule. The early mornings make for good conversations with Danny and I. We've had about 2-3 hours of conversation before the sunrises the last couple of mornings, so that's been nice. However, I'm ready to be rested again.

Thanks for your prayer. God's moving.

1 comment:

  1. It was good to 'see' your 'hi' tonight and know that you are ok!! We will keep praying and God will do amazing things through you in Africa!!!

    God's blessings to you, Tony! We love you!
    Gary and Leesa

    ReplyDelete