Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mosques and Missionaries

What an adventure the last few days have been! As I type this post, I am on a bus between Morogoro and Mbeya Tanzania. Outside there is a forest of Acacia trees and there are monkeys running on and off the road. We are about halfway through our journey to Zambia. It's been some long, somewhat tough travel, but a thoroughly amazing adventure. In the last three hours alone we've seen impala, elephants, giraffes, baboons, and lions as well as hald a dozen mosques. In Arusha, three nights ago, we stayed with some CMF missionaries and the took us to Khan's BBQ (which is an auto parts store by day) and had BBQ lamb and chicken on a street with three mosques! If I thought that was crazy, we then went to Tanga and stayed with some Church of Christ missionaries (Tim and Rebecca Tally). Tanga is estimated to be about 70% Muslim. It was an incredible sight to see such influence. The Tally's were such wonderful people. We decided to take a rest day and spend it with them and they suprised us by taking us Mangrove Mucking (an experience I'll just have to tell you in person) and then the next day they took us on a Dhow to snorkle in the Indian Ociean. I know, I know... real tough missions work... but somebody has to do it ; )'

Throughout all of our fun and adventures (and that is what about every minute of Africa seems to be) we have spent hours in conversation with the different missionaries we have encountered. So far we have spent time with missionaries from Good News Productions, CMF, Church of Christ, and Pioneer Bible Translators. We spend time asking them everything we can think about the type of work they do and the challenges that come from it. It's been quite a blessing to see so many different ways that faithful people are trying to use to spread the gospel. It's been an incredible encouragement to hear the stories of old and see the fruit of lives surrendered. No amount of money could be paid for this type of education. Thank you again for being a part of this.

We have been blessed by the opportunities that God has given us on this journey to Lusaka, but I laugh as I look how God has done what is just like Him to do. Through our visits with missionaries, we have made it a goal to pray for them as we can. This has turned into quite the ministry to the missionaries. Not to puff up what we are doing, but God has used our visits as a pretty significant source of encouregement to these families. By listening to thier lives, stories, and struggles and then turning and praying for them we have been able to turn simple connections into something much more meaningful. Bwana Asifiwe!

On another note, I want to give a quick update on the situation with our refugee friends. Danny and I spent our first day in Kenya in and out of meetings with the UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) and their associated organizations. We have been working hard with Traci back in the States to try to get all of the right paperwork to the right people so we can figure out what is going on. When we came and picked up Jacob and Justin last week, Danny had another meeting with a lady from one of the agencies. There is still a lot up in the air, but we were given some advice to try an additional route while we are waiting for them. Traci has been working so hard back in Idaho and is now continuing as she corresponds with Congressmen and Embassies all over the place. It's really going to be quite an amazing story when it's all done. She might be able to run for president with all of the international diplomatic experience she is getting this month. Please, please, please continue to pray for this situation as it continues to unfold.

I also want to mention that Justin, Jake, Danny, and I are doing well. We have been getting along great and have really enjoyed each others company. It's been quite the adventure, but this has been quite the group of guys. Thank you for your prayers about this.

I do ask your continued prayers for our trip. We are doing so much travel. Not only is their inherent dangers there, but it is also pretty exhausting. Please continue to pray that we do not get sick through this. God has been faithful, and we trust that HE will continue to protect us, as it would be unfortunate to get sick with so many bus rides left.

It's been a wonderful trip so far, full of connections, learning, listening, adventure, and fun as well as hardship, pain, and suffering. We've seen some wonderful sights, but we have also seen some that have a pretty taumatic effect as well. God has been so good and He continues to pour out His love through some amazing blessings, but I don't want to fool you. It's been a tough journey in a lot of ways. Some of the stories of people I've met and the sights I've seen should never be seen or heard. But they are real. And God cares for them so deeply. I ask your prayers for me as I come to grips with some of the hard truths of poverty, abuse, and corruption. It's been hard on my heart.

God is so good and I am excited to see what we do together over the next few days. Lusaka, here we come!

P.S. I wrote this blog post three days ago. We're in Lusaka. More info to come in another post later.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for the postcards. They are much appreciated. I look forward to seeing all the pictures when you arrive back. May God continue to bless you in this time. Tell everyone I said hi! PS: Tell Danny that I saw his lovely girlfriend/Wife the other day!

    ReplyDelete